Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SCHOOL RELATED POST #2 - Second time blog management post

I'm going to go a little cliche here and say that time management is definitely the bane of my existence. I thought that fitting all my classes onto two days (Monday and Wednesday, 11:10 AM - 8:50 PM) would be awesome. It's turning out alright, but it's pretty damn brutal. It can be cool getting out so late but going home alone can be a bummer, especially when you realize you spent your entire day going to class. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, I intern for the regular work day, in which afterwards I spend time with my iron friends in the Baruch gym. On Saturdays, I help my dad with work right smack in the middle of the day, killing pretty much any social life I can possibly have.

Right now I'm thinking about how I can put in AT LEAST a half-assed effort on all the imminent schoolwork, get to the gym 5 days a week, and still spend time getting to know and having fun with the people that matter. And not just any time, QUALITY time. Sometimes I find it hard just to get a decent meal in the day, especially on those fretful school days where I sometimes try to fit in some gym time.

It's still relatively early in the semester (not true for some people though, some classes already have midterms! geez!), so the work hasn't piled up significantly yet. Right now I'm in the "Don't worry, be happy, just cruise" attitude. In terms of school, I really don't do anything until I feel the pressure, as in right before the walls crush me or if I'm jumping into a pool of lava, right before I get severely burned. Professor Kurpis, consider yourself extremely lucky that I am writing this wayyyyy before the deadline. I like to make things up as I go along, like building a bridge I'm walking on. That really isn't the best way to manage your life, because as you're looking down, building your path of walking, you might realize that you built a circular bridge. That's why it's better to have your bridge mapped out first. If only I could procrastinate my procrastination, I'd be set.

I once read somewhere that it is better to have 5 small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big meals. I guess this applies to my time management issue. I know what I have to do, which is to take things in small pieces, so I don't end up needing first aid. Now I just have to apply it; put it into practice. That would be what this management is class for, eh?

So yeah, right now it's not so bad, but soon, the tests and the projects and maybe even those pesky little homeworks will come a knockin'. That's when it's time to put my game face on, pretend those visitors are crack, and deal with it.

Until next time,

K-wizzle

4 comments:

Objectivous Independecus said...

I can appreciate your 5 small meals analogy. Sometimes when I spend too much time preparing for the same class I get "mental indigestion" and, as a result, waste time because I could have been "digesting" other topics more effectively.

I swear I'm not a biology major.

Jess L. said...

Haha, I really like your 5 small meals analogy, too. Your schedule seems pretty intense. When I was making my schedule, I thought about making it like yours - jamming everything into two days. But when I thought about it, the stress that I would go through whenever I have a bunch of tests, papers/essays, or projects due for my classes all in the same day.. it just wasn't worth it to me. But it seems like you can handle it. Like you said, just put your game face on when it comes time for it! I also think your GYM time counts as part of your social life! Hope you don't get too overwhelmed this semester. =)

PS. The pink layout gave me a good chuckle!

andy chen said...

If procrastinating procrastination was possible I would be set too. Leaving unfinished work till the last minute is all I do!(I definitely want to get out of the habit.) Anyways, it seems like you have your life under control. Quality time at the gym has never been consistent with me when school comes around. Oh, by the way, I think I heard the 5 small meals analogy from a personal trainer at a gym I used to go to. It's very clever how you applied it to time management.

J said...

I never understood how full time students handled taking all 4-5 classes in one day. To me, that's a lot. I don't mind wasting a little time to make the trip to school so I am not exhausted by the end of the day. Then again, maybe that's where I'm wasting time. You have quite a lot on your plate as well Kwok. I know exactly what you mean when you say the work is piling up yet you still don't want to do anything. Stop procrastinating. Before you know it, you're going to be pulling all-nighters.

I do the five meal thing. Well it's not five meals, but I snack often. I heard bananas are a great source of energy so whenever I don't have time or money to buy coffee, I grab a banana. I get a feeling we'll be fine this semester and the ones to come.